Fascinating facts about Henley-in-Arden's Mount
Thurstan de Montfort is listed as a witness to a charter of Henry Earl of Warwick concerning the Abbey of St Mary, Abingdon. This is dated between 1088 & 1097. He is also listed as a witness to another charter of Henry concerning St Mary's Church, Warwick, dated between 1105 & 1119.
Thurstan's descendants had a castle at Beaudesert, first mentioned in 1141, but it is possibly of late 11th Century origin. [Newburgh Earldom of Warwick, ed. by D. Crouch]
The Time Team Excavation of the Mount in 2001, found evidence of in-situ Norman masonry underneath a layer dating to the mid-12th Century.
In 1262 Peter de Montfort was refused permission to strengthen his castle by King Henry III.
The fortress of Beaudesert is mentioned in Charters concerning the manor of Clopton held by the de Montfort family in 1275/77.
The castle is mentioned in a case dated 1285 in the Warwick Assizes claiming to be where a lady was held for one month.
King Edward II and his court visited the castle from the 5th – 10th January 1324.
The Account Roll of the constable of the castle in 1411 mentions repairs to the portico (porch) of the hall.
The Boteler inheritance which included the castle and park was passed onto Sir John Norbury & William Belknapp in 1473.
The final phase of the castle according to roof tiles found in excavation was mid-15th century.
The castle is not mentioned in the 1547 survey of the manor and Leland writing between 1535 and 1543 wrote that from Warwick to Henley, a market town where be ruins of a castle, 6 miles.
The little park surrounded the Mount to the North and South. A case dating to 1241 mentions that Peter de Montfort had woods for hunting in Warwickshire.
Peter de Montfort was granted gifts of deer from the King. (77 deer in 12 orders between January 1252 & June 1265.)
The little park is mentioned in 1326 and contained lands called the herbage and the moor.
The parks continued to be used even after the castle went out of use. In 1540 Henry VIII was still using the park for his horses.
In 1608 a survey mentions that the park was around 200 acres enclosed with spikes and ditches.
A map of 1695 shows the park with the enclosed fields and field names. It also indicates a 17th Century house that stood to the south of the Mount.
To the North of the Mount the landscape shows evidence of water management and fishponds.